A Cup of Cold Water to Your Prophet - Part 8
Text: 1 Tim. 5:17-18, Matt. 10:40-42, Matt. 25:31-46
1. To know that many pastors are dying young as a result of many heart breaks from their members. 2. To know that some pastors die because of the carelessness of their members not caring for them. 3. To understand the responsibilities of members toward their pastors to help them live. 4. To know that many pastors forget their need, family and future to carry the burden of members and the church and die young.
Pastors have a tough job. They get more kicks than kisses. They are kicked here and there by so many things and members, and finally they die miserably because no one shows them true love except hate, gossip, deception, hypocrisy or attacks both secretly and openly. What are you doing to keep your pastor from dying young?
TWELVE REASON WHY MANY PASTORS OR THEIR WIVES DIE YOUNG?
- Many pastors say “YES” unnecessarily to too many things and members. In order to avoid conflict and criticism, these pastors tried to please most church members. Their path was not sustainable. Their path is unhealthy, leading to death.
- They say “NO” to their families. For many of these pastors, their families became forgotten people, an afterthought or no thought at all. Many of their children are now grown and resent the church. They have pledged never to return. Their spouses felt betrayed, as if they were no longer loved, desired, or wanted. Some of these pastors have lost their families to divorce and separation. They finally die.
- Many get too busy to remain in the Word and in prayer. Simply stated, they get too busy for God. Read Acts 6:4 again in the context of all of Acts 6:1-7. The early Church leaders saw this danger, and they took a courageous path to avoid the trap. Many who are trapped in this OVER-BUSY without REST or HELP have died or living but dead inside, we can say half dead.
- Many Pastors die a slow death from the steady drip of unnecessary criticisms. Pastors are human. Yeah, I know; that’s an obvious statement. We sometimes expect them to take the ongoing destructive criticisms from members as if they were rocks. But a steady drip can destroy even the most solid rocks. Finally they will die.
- A lot of pastors are attacked by the cartels. Not all churches have cartels, but many do. A church cartel is an alliance of bullies, bully-followers, carnal Christians, and even non-Christians in the Church. Their goal is power, money, position and title. Their obstacle is the pastor. Many pastors have died because cartels killed them.
- Many have lost their vision and their passion. This cause of death is both a symptom and a cause. Like high blood pressure is a symptom of other problems, it can also lead to death. Pastors who lost their vision and passion because of so many problems are dying pastors.
- They sought to please others before God. People-pleasing pastors can fast and easily become dying pastors. The problem is that you can never please all the members all the time. If Pastors try, they die.
- Many pastors have no defenders in the church. No one speak on their behalf. No group gathering to plan their future or for their family. Imagine a pastor with no medicare (medical interventions). That person will die. Imagine Pastors without members who will stand by them. Imagine Pastors where members are too cowardly to stand up against cartels and bullies. If you can imagine that, then you can imagine a dying Pastor. By the way, this form of death is often the most painful. The Pastor is dying without anyone to help or intervene.
- Pastors die as a result of pressures to be like others. Travel around the world, have a big cathedral, be announced by God, be popular and live in affluence, competing with one another or others they have no idea about their stories. They allow wide mouthed intimidators make them feel they are failures without telling them the true stories behind their presumed success. They burnt-out and it took a toll and caused their death. They lost the simple rule of ministry that God gives to everyman that - size and miracles are not indicators of good success before the Master. The letters to the Churches in Revelation showed it clearly.
- Many die because they gave room to ignorance, ego, and unwillingness to take advantage of opportunities God provided to help and enlighten their life. They succeeded in Church but failed their health and spiritual health because they over-evaluated their status.
- Some are killed by their fellow Pastors, who added nothing to them but negativism. Increased their conflicts and inflicted more injury to their wound. You break their hope and add more frustrations to the existing ones.
- Some their associates break the hearts of their superior by destroying their image before their members, stealing aware their hearts like Absalom, plan evil secretly and finally fulfilled their evil plan by killing their superior. What a disaster and danger in the kingdom where peace and wisdom would have ruled and reigned. Some also they have associates, yet they live big while their subjects scratch to survive with their families and they died.
Some autopsies about some dead pastors uncovered eight common patterns concerning them. Some pastors manifest four or five of them. Many manifest all of them. Autopsies are not fun. Talking about dying is not fun. But if you are a Church member, a rich fellow, elder, deacon, deaconess, selfish, ego exhibiting, exaggerating in expenditure, you can be a part of the reasons why pastors are dying because of your unwillingness to be sensitive and to do the right things.