Building A Standard Christian Home - Part 1
TEXT: Deut 6:4-18, Josh 24:14-26
Memory Verse: "Josh 24:15 And if it seem evil to you to serve the Lord, CHOOSE YOU THIS DAY whom you will SERVE: whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell: BUT AS FOR ME AND MY HOUSE, WE WILL SERVE THE LORD."
Every young man and woman after marriage must set down some principles that will guide their home even before their children will come. As the father and mother of the house, you must live a good life in such way that the children will look at you and copy. There are things you don't need to teach, you just need to live that life as an example and the children will copy by looking at you. Then teach them other necessary things and make corrections when needed, keep the principles of the word of God and the home will have a standard. That is why you must know who to marry whether that person serves your God of not. Deut.6:5-9
SETTING A STANDARD FOR YOUR FAMILY
- Every standard product on earth has a manual of operation. The reason is that the buyers will know proper use to enjoy the product. The same way, God has given us the bible as a manual to produce the principles to govern and rule our marriage so that we enjoy home. If you don't know nor believe the principles of the word of God as a Christian to govern your marriage, then the future of that marriage will be destructive. Col 3:16-25.
- You cannot be living contrary to the word of God, eg fighting, insulting or cursing, going to night club, coming back late unreasonably, being drunk with alcohol and smoking cigarettes and expect your family, especially your children to have a good standard Christian living. Prov 23:19-35, Prov 20:1
- When God ordered that the children should be taught while at home, before sleeping, very early and other times, it is to guide them and mould their life according to the word of God so that parents will find peace in their old age. Eph. 6:1-4, Col. 3:20, Deut.6:7
WHO IS IN CHARGE, YOU OR YOUR CHILDREN
- Many parents so much adore their children until they begin to worship them more than God, thereby setting them up as idols in their home. No one talks, corrects or rebukes them, sometimes if either of the parent will REBUKE or FLOG, the other PARTNER will quarrel and say, "LEAVE MY CHILD FOR ME" or "DO YOU WANT TO KILL MY CHILD". They are untouchable like in the western world where they talk about child abuse without reminding the children of parents abuse, they are even set up above their parents. But you must know you are raising vagabonds, future prisoners, unproductive, useless, foolish, stupid, arrogant, delinquent and wayward children. Prov 23:13-19, Prov 27:5; Prov 29:15-17
- Many children dictate the standard of the family even when they are very little. They dictate what they wear, where they go, what they eat, the friends they keep, what they say, how to behave, come back when they want, etc and at the end they are found to be tyrants and terrorists in their family. Many parents are crying today but it is too late because they refuse to hit the iron when it is hot. Prov 22:15 Prov 17:21, Prov 14:12, Prov 22:6, Prov 15:5
WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF YOUR FAMILY
- Many christian parents care so much about the secular education of their children, which is very good, but they forget and are careless about the spiritual life of their children. They never know that the spiritual command the physical. Those children need a godly and strong christian living for their tomorrow. They allow their children to associate with unbelieving children learning all kinds of evil which will bring destruction at the end. 2 Cor 6:14-18, Gen 34:1-31
- When a child has gone so far in bad behavior, most of the time it is very difficult to bring them back except God in His mercy intervenes. Never allow your children to have their way, they don't know what they are doing. You are their mentor, teacher, driver, pilot and director of their life. Whatsoever you don't allow today can be stopped forever. Teach your children and they will give you joy in your future. 1 Cor 15:33
Whatsoever you need to kill around you when you are young and strong, and you refuse to kill, it will kill you when you are old and weak. Every member of the family observe the movement of each other, each know the weakness and the strength of each other, they could be exploited positively or negatively. Begin early to do the right thing or else you reap destruction at the end. Prov. 1:7, Prov 4:1-13.