Characteristics of Proud People - Part 1
TEXT: Isaiah 14:12-23
MEMORY VERSE: "Isaiah 14:13-14 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High ."
To know the dangers of pride. To understand that pride was the down fall of Lucifer the former archangel of God. To also understand that pride has destroyed so many and can destroy anyone who gives in to it. Finally to reject the spirit of pride no matter the gain one thinks he or she may get from it.
Oxford Dictionary describes "Pride as a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's self or achievements. A person or thing which arouses a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction. Consciousness of one's own dignity or the quality of having an excessively high opinion of oneself or one's importance". People who are self sufficient place their trust and confidence in their abilities, they secure themselves against eventualities in the future because they are too proud to ask anyone for help so they want to save all they can. Rev. 3:14-22. Lucifer wanted to take the place of God, he so desired it that he even caused war in heaven, deceiving one third of the angels, but he was defeated and threw down. Rev. 12:7-12. Pride is found in the heart of men today just as it was found in the heart of the devil. Check your heart and mind if you have some pride in you. Isa. 14:13-14.
ARROGANT PEOPLE ARE SELF SUFFICIENT
- After the fall of Adam, the sin of pride, competition and strife came into the human hearts and became part of our character. We have pride and arrogance in greater degrees more than any other person, all without exception carry it inside of us, but Christ wants us to be free from it. Jer. 17:9-11.
- Pride is inherent from Adam, it is part of our desire to be like gods as the serpent suggested to Eve. "Gen. 3:3-5 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the idsr of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, YE SHALL NOT SURELY DIE: For God doth know that in the day you shall eat thereof, THEN YOUR EYES SHALL BE OPENED, AND YE SHALL BE AS gODS, knowing good and evil." But listen to this, Prov. 16:18 says "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall". Man created in the image of God is already a god, why live by the suggestion of the enemy of God. Psalms 82:6, John 10:34.
- It simply means that pride is a stumbling block, it can put anyone down and finally pride will cover the person. Lucifer thought within himself to rise above God but he failed and still falls till today. That is why you see so many churches being found today out of pride, many are seeking self ego, self elevation, where they will be recognized as great leaders. We have suffered also in the hands of proud people who call themselves pastors, we will all see the end of all things one day. Ezk. 28:14-19.
- Arrogant self sufficient people believe they do not need anything from anyone and hence reject team work, they like to live independent lives, they love their own space, they don’t visit others, they can’t even see themselves eating your food. etc. They do not want favours from anyone, so as not to owe you. Arrogance leads to greed and self-centredness. Prov. 11:12, Prov. 14:21
- Reading the statements of Lucifer in Ezekiel 28:17 and Isaiah 14:13-14 you will understand the real nature of proud people. The nature of satan is pride and he wants us all to operate in pride. It is all about "I". What "I" want to do! What "I" want to achieve! What "I" want to be! Where "I" want to go! "I" am in charge!........…..I, I, I and I. When it is "I" where is the place of God, beware! Be careful least you fall of the same woe!!!
ARROGANT PEOPLE ARE PERFECTIONIST
- Perfectionism is birthed in arrogance, and it reflects the fullness of the heart. Arrogant people are never content, they are perfectionist and demonstrate an obsessive behaviour, never feel satisfied with who they are or what they have been able to accomplish by the grace and mercies of God, they never agree in others churches who set very high standards, goals, and aspirations that are above and beyond theirs. Prov. 16:18-19.
- Nothing is wrong with achieving great things but the motive is what matters. If they succeed in achieving their goals they feel superior to others, if they are unable to achieve what they desire they become frustrated, overly critical of themselves, and begin to reject and hate themselves and hate those who were able to achieve those things. They just believe the best must be theirs in all things. Ezk. 28:17.
- Arrogant people are unnecessarily COMPETITIVE, SPITEFUL, WILFUL and HAVE A HARD TIME BELIEVING IN OTHERS, they are always CONTROVERSIAL, etc. Eg:- a) If they are not the one singing, it is not good. b) If they are not the one leading in prayer, God will not answer or it is not well done. c) If they are not the one who has the idea to be used, it will not work out. d) If they are not the one leading the department, it will die. e) They will come late and still want to control those that came early, they are not touched for their lateness. Have you found yourself in such a state of life? If so, you are proud and need to change. Isaiah 14:13-14
Do you think you have pride in you? Do you think without you nothing will work out, either in your family or in the church? Do you think if you withdraw your tithe, offering, mission support the church will close down? Do you think you have better ideas and nothing can work without that? Do you think you dress better than others? That is pride. Stop pride now and repent or pride will stop you and take you to hell! James 4:5-6.