Characteristics of Proud People - Part 4
TEXT: Acts 12:1-25, James 4:13-17.
MEMORY VERSE: "James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God RESISTETH THE PROUD, but GIVETH GRACE UNTO THE HUMBLE."
To know the dangers of pride. To understand that pride was the down fall of Lucifer the former archangel of God. To also understand that pride has destroyed so many and can destroy anyone who gives in to it. Finally to reject the spirit of pride no matter the gain one thinks he or she may get from it.
Herod was one of the kings in the time of the early church. He killed apostle James and intended to kill apostle Peter also, but God delivered Peter. Out of anger he killed all the soldiers that guarded the prison from where the angel of the Lord delivered Peter. Finally one day he had a speech to make, and as he started people were shouting this is not the voice of a man, it is the voice of a god, he was full of pride and arrogance, the angel of the Lord smote him and he was eaten by worms instantly. Watch your heart and see if you are proud, especially as a church leader, husband or a director of business.
THE DANGERS OF PRIDE
- Pride attracts punishments from God. When God calls for repentance and we do not heed, it leads to punishment, because not repenting of pride is an act of disobedience and rebellion. James 4:1-11.
- The devil failed by pride and he wants us always to exhibit the spirit and attitude of pride. Pride is worst than the VIRUS OF HIV OR CANCER, AVOID IT. Don't allow what happened to Herod to happen to you. Acts 12:21-23.
- Sometimes, we want even the pastors and other leaders to leak the dust of our feet becuase of who we think we are or what we give for the work of God. Proverbs 16:5 declares "Every one who is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: Though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished. Prov. 26:24-27.
- Could it be that some of us are still proud in such a way we want to be seen in everything we are doing or giving in the church. Are you giving to inspire and motivate others or are you giving to take the glory and be seen as the best and greatest giver. We need more respect than required. We want everyone to bow, may be becuase of what we are doing or giving in the church. Church members deserve respect, your family deserve respect, everyone deserve respect too. Reject pride completely. Lev. 26:14-39.
PRIDE BRINGS DEMOTION RATHER THAN BLESSINGS
- When we are arrogant because of our position, wealth, class, connections, title in the Church, office, or society and committe sin, instead of repentance, we are too proud to confess and seek forgiveness. We cover up our sin, as if He that created eyes is blind, we may cover up our sins because of our pride and put the righteous to shame, retain our position or even better be promoted, but it does not stop punishment from God. Eccl. 8:9-13, Lev. 26:19.
- Let us look at what some scriptures says about pride.
a) "Proverbs 29:23 A man's PRIDE shall bring him LOW: but honour shall uphold the HUMBLE in spirit.
b) Isaiah 2:12 For the day of the Lord of hosts shall be upon every one that is PROUD and LOFTY, and upon every one that is LIFTED up; and he shall be brought LOW:
c) Jeremiah 49:16 Thy terribleness hath DECEIVED thee, and the PRIDE of thy heart, O thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, that boldest the height of the hill: though thou shouldest make thy nest as high as the eagle, I will bring thee DOWN from thence, saith the Lord.
d) Isa. 48:22 There is no peace, saith the Lord, unto the wicked. Isa. 57:21
SOME PEOPLE THAT WASTED THEIR LIFE BECUASS OF PRIDE
- Read all these scriptures and discuss on it, to see the end of proud people. Daniel 4:1-37. Nebuchadnezzar said, Daniel 4:30-32" .......Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my Majesty, While the word was in the king's mouth,there fell a voice from heaven, saying, "O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee. And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beast of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen.........It is your pride that makes you eat your tithe and still give nonchalant offering, yet your heart does not touch you. Don't allow your life to be like the one you are reading here. Daniel 4:1-37
- Pride has never helped any one, instead it has always led to destruction. Pride brings shame. The question you must ask yourself is; have I ever been helped by pride? Has it procured me any blessing? It is important you put yourself into the spirit of humility. "2 kings 14:12-13 And Judah was put to the worse before Israel; and they fled every man to their tents. And Jehoash king of Israel took Amaziah king of Judah....." The pride of Amaziah the king of Judah could not allow him to respect Jehoash the king of Israel and he paid dearly for his pride. You must know your level in life. Don't think that your leadership position can make you ride over your pastor or bishop no matter how small you think he is. Read all these scriptures to see it. 2 kings 14:8-14."Prov. 11:2, Prov. 15:33, Prov. 29:23
God hates pride. He detest everyone that refuses humility. Some members, leaders and pastors have reached a level where they are equal with God. Some people use left hand to give offering. Some people refuse to pay their tithes. Some people treat the house of God with contempt. Some people look at their spiritual leader and they see them very poor, and they think they can do whatsoever they want, it is all pride! Don't forget "Prov. 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall".