Characteristics of Proud People - Part 5
TEXT: Luke 12:16-21, Matt. 6:19-21
MEMORY VERSE: "Luke 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast MUCH GOODS LAID UP FOR MANY YEARS, take thine EASE, EAT, DRINK, and be MERRY".
To understand that pride does not pay anything good. To know that whatsoever we have on earth should rather bring humility instead of pride. To have a full know that without God we are nothing. Finally to know that a life spent in humility pays more than a life spent in pride with much pain.
Life is built up of submission to God. Whatever you have on earth means nothing until you associate it with God. We had a family as member of this ministry some years ago. When they left the church they did everything possible to drive people away, but it was impossible, but some foolish and weak hearted ones obeyed and went away. They went to a particular church and the pastor reduced them to nothing, the pastor brought confusion between the husband and wife. They had little riches and as they left they were in trouble. They keep saying we will know how they will pay the rent of the church. Let us see who will help them to pay for the church rent. God rather sent some people and we began to pay before time more than before, and money came in. This was a great pride. They never believe there is anyone like them. Listen to this, today 1. Their marriage is divorced. 2. Their business went down completely. 3. The health of the man deteriorated 4. He can no more enjoy his life at all. We are not happy for this, but this was as a result of pride. "Pride goes before DESTRUCTION. Don't be a casualty of pride." Prov. 16:18.
PRIDE DESTROYS A GLORIOUS LIFE AND OPPORTUNITY
- When you look at this rich man, he had great wealth but he refused to associate it with God. Instead he told his soul to rejoice becuase he has so much wealth to enjoy for many years. His pride made him believe he can live for many years, but he forgot that his life belongs to God while his goods as he thinks belong to him. He was a fool, he died like a fool and many of us are not different from him in our attitude towards God. Watch your attitude towards the little project we are doing you will agree with me that many of us are not different. Luke 12:19-20.
- Gehazi would have been the greatest Prophet even beyond Elisha, but he lost the opportunity. The pride of that opportunity and closeness to the man of God made him rebellious and he was destroyed. His destiny was completely put to a negative stop without remedy. No matter what you have on earth, your soul require true relationship with God. The Devil will show you how to get things, but he will not show you what you will suffer in return. 2 kings 5:20-24, Prov. 29:1, Prov. 16:18.
- Gehazi the servant of Elisha, was in a position of power but he was corrupt, and misused his authority and cheated Naaman the Syrian, a leper, just like what we have in our societies and churches today. As a punishment, Elisha cursed him, transferring Naaman's leprosy to him and his descendants for ever. So many pastors and church members are doing so many secret things today that will give them great public shame one day. You better change now from that pride. 2 kings 5:25-27.
- Listen to this, "The enemy boasted,(Pharaoh) ‘I will chase them and catch up with them. I will plunder them and consume them. I will flash my sword; my powerful hand will destroy them.’ But you blew with your breath, and the sea covered them. They sank like lead in the mighty waters. “Who is like you among the gods, O Lord glorious in holiness, awesome in splendor, performing great wonders? Exodus 15:9-11. Sometimes the devil think he has the final say over our lives, but he always fool himself. Don't allow your mind to be lifted up just as the devil did and failed. Watch your attitude in the church. Don't use the little position you have to destroy your life because of pride.
THE ATTITUDE OF PRIDE ATTRACTS DESTRUCTION INSTEAD OF BLESSING
- Most of the time we are very humble in our little beginning, but immediately we begin to rise in prosperity, something begin to happen in our heart. For example, it is pride that makes a man not to serve God in the right way. Imagine man giving God an offering that makes him complain and yet he has enough to live with and also in the bank. I have repeated this several times, if you are not paying your tithe, you are not only ungrateful, selfish, egocentric, greed, but you are a disgrace and waste to the kingdom of God. Mal. 1:6-8.
- When God pronounces himself your enemy because of your pride, you can imagine how dangerous it is. Listen to this, "Behold, I am against thee, oh thou most PROUD, saith the Lord of hosts:..... And the most PROUD shall stumble and fall, and none shall raise him up.... Jeremiah 50:31-32. Are you proud, it is time to repent or you will face the judgement of God.
- Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me.” Listen to Pharaoh. “And who is the Lord? that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go. Imagine ordinary man saying I do not know the Lord. The pride of his position makes him believe he is equal with God. Does it not sound like the attitude of some elders, deacons or deaconesses in the church today? You answer the pastor as you want, you attend school of wisdom when you want. What is the difference, nothing? You are not different from Pharaoh when you constantly live the way you want. Ex. 5:1-2
- Pride did not begin today? When you are constantly come late to church, you are a proud fellow, you want to know what the pastor will do. When the church gives an order for anything to be done, you want to do it at your time, becuase you are proud, may the Lord forgive you as you decide to repent today. Pharaoh said, I know not the Lord, and who is he? You may not say so by words, but your attitude says it. Pride kills like the worst sickness or disease on earth. Ex. 5:1-2.
Don't ever make God look like your house boy. God gave you life, wife, husband, children and your business. When dealing with God, treat him like your boss, not as your servant. Pride! Pride!! Pride!!! Run away from it. Don't forget when the rich man said, my Soul you have so many good laid up for you for so many years, he did not live more than that night and left this world and all his goods and money was enjoyed by others. What a shame to compete with your Maker!!! Luke 12:16-21.