Church Membership and the Value of God's Kingdom - Part 4, Volume 1
TEXT: 2 Tim 2:20-21, 1 Cor. 3:13-15, 2 kings 4:1-2
MEMORY VERSE: Matt 26:13 – “Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached IN THE WHOLE WORLD, there shall also THIS, that this woman has done, be TOLD for a MEMORIAL of her.”
To understand that members have responsibilities toward the kingdom and their pastors. For members to realise that they can go the extra mile beyond tithes and offerings in doing the work of the kingdom. To remind members that God will not be happy seeing his servants suffer and also that every labour will be rewarded.
Once upon a time, a Christian woman after listening to our mother Mama Josephine; the wife our bishop, she sent her these words! “Ah! You are a woman of God with a good reputation, so gentle in heart, a loving and caring mother. What else can I say; in fact you have it all. The Ruth of this generation; mummy more grace to you. An able teacher of the gospel, may the world hear your voice ma. Your message is so enlightening. Thank God for giving us people like you. God bless you and your family, more grace and long life”. She did this because she had been following the teachings of Mama James over the internet. Prov. 31:10-30.
Notice this; here is another person speaking, encouraging, praising and appreciating a woman who labours on others like you. How do you grade your spiritual parents and your pastors as they labour in your life? It is not easy to be a Pastor! It is not easy to lead people! Many people complain about the little department they handle, yet accuse the pastor of doing nothing in the church! Here Paul was addressing Timothy, telling him all he had gone through, and yet God deliver him. What you hear from people are complaints, while they do nothing. It is easy to preach on an altar on which another man has laboured and raised souls; but when it is your turn to win souls and raise a church you complain against your leader for being wicked. Think about this. 2 Tim 3:10-17.
DISTINGUISHING YOUR MEMBERSHIP IN THE SIGHT OF GOD AND YOUR PASTOR
- When you put green apples in a basket; they are all apples of the same colour but when you put one red apple on top of the same basket with green apples, they are all apples but one is different in colour, and that makes a whole lot of difference. This is how God differentiates you by your works.
A) Barnabas was called the son of consolation by the apostles because of his works.
B) Mary Magdalene, Joanna and Susanna distinguished their names in the midst of many others. Those called many others their names did not appear, but these three came out with distinction. Luke 8:1-3. Can the Bishop or your pastor look at you and say you are a son or daughter of consolation by your constant works? Think about our project this year and decide what you will do all through the year. Acts 4:36-37.
- Some members distinguish themselves by huge financial contribution and their insight in changing things from the ordinary to extraordinary. God allowed the names of many to appear in the bible for their works as we said earlier like Joanna, Suzanna and Mary Magdalene etc. Make sure that your name will appear several times this year. Don't hide yourself from Missions Africa 2018. Our Cathedral is the first Target. If you need MEGA LAUGHTER, you need mega work. Luke 8:1-3.
- There are certain people who our Bishop can’t forget for their good works, even in the sight of God. Mark 12:41-44, Matt 26:7-13. That is how some men of God can’t forget some people because of the evil they have done against him. 2 Tim. 4:10-18, 2 Tim. 1:15. Here Paul called Demas, Phygellus, Hermogenes as people who forsook him and Alexander who did him much evil; but he said in 2 Tim. 1:16-18. “The Lord have mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for He often refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain.... He ministered unto me.... very well.” How does your name appear in the church; for good or for evil? Eccl 12:13-14. The work in our cathedral has started again, IMPOSE YOUR IMAGE AND NAME in the mind of God and the church.
- Distinguish yourself by your commitment to the church and leadership like the mighty men of David. Join your bishop and pastor to fulfil this great vision of our cathedral in Bonaberi and Afric-Missions 2018. If the Lord is with us and we are committed to this work, we can finish this cathedral this year. 1 Sam. 23:8-23.
- A lot people overlook the cleaning of the toilet, ushering, protocol, sanctuary cleaning, cleaning the bishop of the pastor’s office, evangelism, follow up etc. They think it is a small job, but some people are connected to it doing it with joy; the same reward others receive, those doing these works will also receive and even more though people think it minor because they are despised. Miracles are attached to such things that people despise. Col.4:17
- Some members keep thinking, planning and doing great things for God while others sit down doing nothing and think they can have results from God without doing anything. They say MEGA LAUGHTER, yet they are angry when we announce the work that brings the MEGA LAUGHTER. James says, “It is not the hearers only that are justified, it is the doers of the word of God.” So be a doer and not just hearer who deceives himself. James 1:21-25, Matt. 5:13-16, Prov. 24:30-34.
SPECIAL CHURCH MEMBERS IN THE CHURCH
- These people are some set of members who decide to go extra miles doing particular things in the church; like a member paying the Church rent, Electricity bill, Water bill, buying outreach equipment and making repairs, buying outreach bus etc without bordering the little church finance that cannot even take care of the servants of God who labour day and night for them. 1 Tim. 5:17-18, 1 Cor. 9:7-14, Luke 8:1-3, Prov 11:24-25.
- These ones are those who are close to the pastor to encourage him or who call the pastor always to know his welfare and how he feels concerning the ministry. They always call the pastor to know about his personal needs and how to make sure he is not distracted by those needs by supplying them. Gal 6:6-10.
It is time to be sincere as children of God, doing the right thing serving the Lord as a strong church member. As a disciple of Christ and as one that knows that his reward is waiting here on earth and over there in heaven. 1 Cor. 15:58