Church Membership and the Value of God's Kingdom - Part 2, Volume 1
TEXT: Num. 1:1-54, Acts 2:41-47.
MEMORY VERSE: Num. 1:2 – “Take you the sum of all the CONGREGATION of the children of Israel, after their FAMILIES, by the house of their fathers, with the number of their NAMES, every male by their polls.”
To know that church membership is very important and to discover that church is a family. To understand that you must belong to a church having proper record of your activities from the time you came until the time you either relocate to another nation where your church is not found or when death occurs. To also understand that you cannot belong to any association or organization without responsibilities; and these responsibilities will depend on the rules and regulations of that church.
Looking at several churches today in different nations, you realise that there are more people migrating from church to church than those interested in church membership and church growth. People go from church to church looking for miracles, prophecies, materials help, position instead of responsibility and many other unnecessary reasons that make them leave without proper foundation. 2 Tim. 4:9-18. Some even create irreparable problems when leaving because of their selfish desires. There could be a misunderstanding between two church members or between the pastor and the member but as soon as the matter is resolved, we continue moving ahead because the church is a family. Church is more of a family than just a casual recreational centre; so God is very much interested in the individuals and families that make up the church; that is why He is oriented by
- Records and
There may be a good reason for leaving after deliberations with the pastor and church leaders because they have been a blessing; but it is supposed to be done ceremoniously and not rebelliously so as to remain an extended son or daughter of the same family. Rom. 16:1-27, 1 Cor. 14:40
SOME REASONS FOR BECOMING A CHURCH MEMBER
There are several reasons why people belong to a particular church, especially many people that love to keep relationship with their fellow saints. Eccl. 4:7-12, Mark 6:7.
- To help them grow spiritually through strong teachings of the word of God. 1 Tim. 4:11-16, 1 Tim. 5:1-22, Heb 5:12-14, 1 Peter 2:2-3
- To have and relate with a real and strong pastor for spiritual covering. Heb. 13:7, 17, 2 Tim. 2:1-7
- To be trained in any area of church leadership so as to become relevant in the kingdom of God. Acts 20:26-27; 2 Tim. 3:10-17.
- To get some help if need be after being a member for some time; depending on the type of person. 1 John 3:14-18, James 2:15-16.
- To relate with people of the same class because of the type of profession or business the person is involved in. That is why Dominion Faith established “Christian Business-Fellows Network Int'l” to enhance the quality of the church through diverse programs outside the church environment. Acts 16:13-15.
- To help build church parishes from the ordinary level to an extraordinary status. Luke 7:2-5
- To be given a proper burial when such a person dies. Acts 8:1-2
- Finally to have a great reward from our heavenly Father as He has promised us. 1 Cor. 3:9-15.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A CHURCH MEMBER
- Each church member is required to work and fulfil membership obligations as so many denominations keep records of such member’s activities so as to know how to relate with them in terms of benefits. 1 Tim 5:9-10.
- The names and records we keep in the church concerning members are also names and records for heavenly rewards; though some secret work may not be recorded here but heaven still records them for rewards. 1 Cor. 3:13-15, Eccl. 12:13-14, Eccl. 3:17, Matt. 10:26, Luke 10:19-20, Ex 32:31-33, Psalms 69:28, Phil 4:3, Rev 3:5, Rev 20:12, Matt 10:32-33.
- Each member must be involved in church work depending on the area of specialty or where he or she is asked to work. Rom 14:12, 1 Cor. 3:13-15, Prov 22:29
- The church member must be involved in financial obligations like Bishopric Care, Pastoral Welfare, giving of offerings, paying of tithes, welfare contributions, building projects, missions support, convention fees and other special contributions at all levels. Ex. 28:1-5, Deut 26:1-19, Ezek. 44:27-31 Mal 3:8-12, Acts 4:32-37, Acts 20:35, Mark 12:41-44, Prov 11:24-25
- The member must cultivate the attitude of caring for the pastor's personal need and Bishop’s Welfare as established by the church. 1 Thess. 5:13-13, 1 Cor. 9:7-14, Gal. 6:6-10
- The member must be ready to be involved in other responsibilities that may be assigned to him or her by the pastor. 2 Sam 23:14-17
- Every member must belong to a department in the church and must have some responsibilities that shows that he or she is a member; if not the person is just part of the number not a member. Neh. 4:14-23
As we explore the need to become a strong member of a local church, we advice every Christian to follow this teaching until we complete it. Go home read what you are taught like the BEREAN CHRISTIANS to see if they are real and the same. Read all the scriptures in this school of wisdom to become wiser. Acts 17:10-15