Church Membership, Tithes and Christian Worship - Part 5
TEXT: Neh. 10:37-39, Neh. 13:10-12, Deut. 14:22-29, Heb. 7:1-10
MEMORY VERSE: Heb. 7:4 – “Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils”
To understand that every Christian has the responsibilities toward God to pay tithes. To know that when we do the will of God, we will not be disappointed. To know that the death of Christ is a blessing to us and we must obey both in paying tithes and in other forms of support for the gospel to be carried around the world.
Throughout the Bible we are taught to give. There are three kinds of giving identified in the Bible: Tithes, Offerings and Alms. Alms are for the poor and needy. Offerings are for specific needs (Missions Support, Welfare, Buildings like Cathedrals, Schools, Parsonage and Others) and the Tithe is the first ten percent of our income to God. Tithe is the foundation of giving. We give tithe first, then offerings and finally alms when the need arises.
GOD'S MIND CONCERNING TITHES
- Even though many people have entered the ministry with wrong motives and are misusing their calling for merchandise, it does not stop God's original plan for his people. Many false prophets and teachers have entered into the ministry and thereby giving the ministry an evil name, but God remains focused on what he has called us to do in his name. 2 Cor. 11:12-15, Phil. 3:17-19, Rom. 16:17-18
- Melchizedek was a Priest so he received tithe, and he blessed Abraham. Gen. 14:18-20. God said, let there be MEAT (FOOD) in my STORE HOUSE. Mal. 3:10.
- The church is the store house of God and there are people working there. Ministers of God are called to serve God, and they are ordered to focus on the ministry without distraction. Given that they had no inheritance in Israel; God said all the tithes and offerings were for their services. Even though we have got it wrong, but we are correcting it that the blessings might abide in the house of the people of God. Ezek. 44:28-31, Deut. 21:5, 1 Cor. 9:13-14, Lev. 6:16,26, Deut. 10:9, Deut 18:1-8
- God has strictly established the office of the priest for his service and nothing else. Therefore He decided that whatsoever comes out of their service should be for their upkeep. Whatsoever it is called does not matter, it is for the feeding and living of the servants of God. Ex. 27:20-21, Ex. 28:1-5, Deut. 14:22-29, Deut. 26:1-19.
- When we pay our tithe, we show our faithfulness to the Lord and also teach our children the value of this divine principle. When they see the value of this divine principle, they will want to follow our example and pay tithe on any money and blessing they receive. This principle will lay a very strong foundation in their spiritual and financial destiny. Deut. 6:6-13.
TEN STRONG REASONS FOR TITHING
Here are ten strong reasons why we should tithe faithfully.
- We tithe because we do the will of God and refuse completely to be disobedient to the word of God. God says his people rob or steal from Him when they withhold their tithes and offerings. Neh. 13:10-14. Also when we pay this tithe wrongly or incompletely we block our ways of prosperity. Malachi 3:8-10, Mal. 1:6-14.
- We tithe to safeguard our treasures both physically and spiritually. When we refuse to tithe, the devourer destroys our treasures and when we tithe we invest where it is totally secured, the kingdom of heaven. Mal. 3:11-12. “Don’t store up treasures on earth where moths and rust can destroy them, and thieves break in and steal them.” Matthew 6:19-21.
- When we tithe, we reap a bumper harvest, because of divine obedience. Gen. 14:18-20, Mal. 3:10, 12. “If we sow few seeds it makes a small harvest, but when we sow a lot of seeds it makes a big harvest.” Prov. 11:24-25, 2 Cor. 9:6.
- We tithe because we desire God’s blessings. God blesses and preserves the remaining nine-tenths of our income. He promises to pour out blessings that there would not be room enough to receive. Mal. 3:10, 12. This is not always in financial returns, but in ways that you may or may not realize. It may be wisdom, ideas, human connections, international journeys, marriage and many other breakthroughs in life. Deut. 28:1-14.
- When we tithe we support the ministers that are called for the lost souls to preach the gospel. We also help them out of unnecessary stress over their financial needs. Deut. 18:1-8, 1 Cor. 9:13-14.
- We tithe because our church needs it to cater for the ministers that do the work. Ezek 44:28-31, 1 Tim. 5:17-18, 1 Cor. 9:13-14. The Ministers do great work and needs the support of the members. Gal. 6:6-10. “Bring the entire ten percent into the storehouse, so there will be food in my house.” Mal. 3:10.
- We tithe because tithing brings joy. The knowledge of doing God’s will bring peace of mind and joy to your heart. Deut. 26:1-19, Prov. 3:9-10, “God loves a cheerful giver” 2 Cor. 9:7.
- We tithe because it is God’s plan of financial increase for His kingdom. “The first ten percent of everything you harvest is holy and belongs to me, whether it grows in your fields or on your fruit trees.” (Leviticus 27:30) It is not only holy, it belongs wholly to Him. When you pay it, it becomes holy and productive, but when you refuse to pay, it becomes unholy and destructive. Mal. 3:8-9, Mal. 1:6-8, Neh. 3:10-14.
- We tithe because of what God has done for us. He gave His only Son, He saved our soul and He blesses us with great possessions. 1 John 3:1-10, John 3:16, Eph. 1:3-6. He said, “Prove me” Malachi 3:10 and He has been proved faithful by several people. Heb. 7:1-10.
- We tithe because we love God. 2 Cor. 9:6-7. We recognize Him as the Eternal One who created the universe and is the only One who knows what is best for you. He also gave us his servants to care for us. Deut. 14:22-29, Deut. 28:1-14
A lot of people find it difficult to pay their tithe, yet they want God to give them unlimited blessings. They are so stingy, yet they want their business to increase, they need a healthy life, when they plant fruit trees or seed they want to see much increase. They want their children to do well in school, they plan the future of their children, yet when it comes to paying tithe they are sorrowful and full of murmurings. You can Prosper beyond your imaginations, if you allow the Almighty God to rule, control and direction the way you use all your income. Luke 12:16-21, Mark 10:17-31.