The Benefits of Becoming a Strong Church Member - Part 1
TEXT: Acts 2:41-47; Heb.10:25-26; 2 Tim 2:19-21
MEMORY VERSE: Acts 2:44 "And all that believed were together, and had all things common"
Having seen the confusion in the world today we decided to teach our Christians the need to be a strong church member. Membership is an act of involving one's self in any organisation and fulfilling all their requirements. Every organisation has some rules or principles that controls them and some of them are criteria for becoming a member, the responsibilities of a member, the benefits of a member and loss of membership. This helps the organisation to know how many members they have in their record and how to handle them in both good and hard times, and also in life or death. Amos 3:3.
WHAT IS CHURCH MEMBERSHIP
Church membership is when someone decides to belong to a church after he has repented of his sins, baptised by immersion if such thing is not yet done in a revived church, and probably went through some membership teachings and accept their code of excellence or conduct, doctrines and principles of living, such a person at that time is accepted as a member. Acts 2:44-47
HOW TO BE COME A CHURCH MEMBER
- Becoming a member of any church is a decision from one's heart. The person MUST BE READY TO FOLLOW the rules and regulations of that church may be after asking questions and being satisfied the the person may like become a member. Acts 4:32-37
- In Dominion Faith you must follow some teachings of the church, be baptized if you have not done so in a revived church and you will be watched for a while, you must belong to a department fulfilling all the demands of the department and also you must have our membership card which the church use as tithe card, coupled with the mission card also and you must involve yourself in other activities of the church to prove yourself faithful, then you are seen as a member.
- The parish register must carry your name and your department must also have your name. Acts 3:43-47
REASONS FOR BECOMING A CHURCH MEMBER
There are several reasons why people belong to a particular church, especially many people that love to keep relationship with their fellow saints.
- Some reasons may be to help them grow spiritually through strong teachings of the word of God. Heb 5:12-14, 1 Peter 2:2-3
- To have and relate with a real and strong pastor for spiritual covering.
- To be trained in any area of church leadership to be relevant in the kingdom of God. Acts 20:26-27
- To find some help if need be, depending on the type of person. 1 John 3:14-18
- To relate with people of his class because of the type of profession or business. Acts 16:13-15
- To help build a church from their ordinary level to an extraordinary status. Luke 7:2-5
- Finally to be given a proper burial when such a person dies. Acts 8:1-2
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A CHURCH MEMBER
- Each member of any church is required to work and fulfill membership obligations as so many denominations keep records of such members activities so as to know how to relate with them in times of benefits. 1 Tim 5:9-10.
- The records we keep in the church concerning members are also records for heavenly rewards, though some secret works may not be recorded here but heaven still record them for rewards. 1Cor 3:13-15.
- Each member must be involved in church work depending on the area of specialty or where he or she is asked to work. Prov 22:29
- The church member must be involved in financial obligations like giving of offering, paying of tithes, special contributions, building projects, missions and church support at all levels. Mal 3:8-12, Prov 11:24-25
- The member must cultivate the attitude of caring for the pastor's personal need 1 Thess 5:13-13, 1 Cor 9:7-14, Gal 6:6-10
- He must be ready to be involved in other responsibilities that may be assigned to such by the pastor. 2 Sam 23:14-17.
- Every member must belong to a department in the church and must have some responsibilities that shows he or she is a member. Neh 4:14-23.
As we explore the need to become a strong member of a local church , we advice every Christian to follow this teaching until we complete it.