The Mystery of Christmas (Part 2)
TEXT: Matt 1:18-25, 1 Cor. 6:19-20, Rom. 5:6-8
Memory Verse: Matt 1:23 “Behold, a VIRGIN shall be with A CHILD, and shall bring forth A SON, and they shall call his name EMMANUEL, which being interpreted is, GOD WITH US.”
1. To know that the main reason why Christ was born is to bring salvation to mankind. 2. To understand that Christ birth is not like the birth of other religious leaders on earth. 3. To equally understand that Christmas radiates God's love and sacrifice for man. 4. Finally to know that without Christ, love and sacrifice all we are doing is like dung and we are lost.
The sinless birth of Christ, His acts on earth, His death, His resurrection, love and sacrifice flowing in our hearts today as Christians shows the difference between Christ and other religious leaders. Christianity is God sacrificially looking for man to save him from destruction; while other religions entail man looking for God yet in vain. Rom. 5:6-8. When man lost his original state with his Creator, God made a way to reconcile us with Himself, but in other religions, people look for a way or pay a price to be saved, yet they don’t get saved, whereas God paid our price sacrificially through Christ. So Christmas can be summoned up in one word "SACRIFICE". 1 Cor. 6:19-20.
THE PURPOSE OF THE BIRTH OF CHRIST
- The birth of Christ is not a human imagination as it is with the birth of ordinary men and other religious leaders of the world. The birth of Christ is the thought of God to redeem man from his error and to bring man close to himself to reign in eternity with Him. Christmas is therefore a sign to show how much God loves man and sacrificed for him, to bring him back home even when he missed the way of eternal life. 2 Cor. 5:1-21 "Every teacher must read this scripture".
- The birth of Christ is the true reason why every Christian should celebrate Christmas. So we celebrate Christ who came to redeem us, not ourselves. But the real question today is; Do all who celebrate Christmas know Christ? Are they celebrating the birth of their enemy or friend? What about you that is listening here today? John 1:6-14, John 3:5-21
- Christmas radiates the joy and glory of God that was lost after man sold his life to the devil through disobedience. So man must receive this joy and glory that was lost through Adam by accepting this precious and sacrificial gift of God through Christ the Saviour. Do it right now and stop waiting any longer. Rom 3:23; Rom 6:16-23
CELEBRATING CHRISTMAS WITH A MEANING
- So many people have discovered that Christmas has no meaning without helping those suffering around them, so they sacrifice to make the poor, widows, orphans and rejected happy. So while you celebrate Christmas, look at the people around you and see whether they share the same happiness and joy you have. If not do something about it and begin it in your family and church. What a great joy if someone will surprisingly give a gift to another saying Happy Christmas, I love you. James 1:25-27
- If your parents are still alive, did you think of them during this festive period? Did you send some gifts to them? If they are no more alive; did you think of other family members? Did you think to make your spiritual parents who labour day and night for you happy? For example some people have given surprising package to the Bishop and family for this Christmas, which the king of Ndoknyack is one of them that showed much love. 1 John 4:20
- During Christmas the non-Christians spend their time in Night Clubs, Bars, in Illegal Sexual Activities, in Violence and Rioting, in carrying out Demonic Traditional Practices both in cities and villages sacrificing to idols etc. What are you doing yourself to show the love of Christ in you? Manifest the true life of Christ and He will be glorified in and through you. Gal 5:13-26
- Christmas festive seasons records the highest sinful activities, accidents, ritual killings, stealing and armed robbery, drunkenness and all kinds of evil vices in the world, such that what should have been for good is turned to bad. Ask yourself, do "I contribute to this evil during Christmas or do I make it a time of manifesting the Glory of Christ?" Rom 1:18-32.
WHAT DOES CHRISTMAS MEAN TO YOU?
- You are called the salt of the earth, the light of the world, a city on a hill and a candle on a candle stick. You are commanded to shine until men see your GOOD WORKS and GLORIFY your heavenly Father; all these are to show the love of Christ who sacrificed himself for us. What are the things you are doing in the church to prove that you understand the true meaning of Christmas? Matt 5:13-16.
- If you don't have Christ you don't know Christmas. Without Christ you are nothing. Without Christ you have no future. Without Christ all you are doing is as dung. Without Christ you are LOST AND DOOMED FOREVER. Mark 8:36-38, Mark 7:21-23
- This question comes again, did you show the love of Christmas to your family members, to someone special, especially your Bishop, Pastor, his wife and children? Or are you still the old person who does not understand the value of servants of God and their responsibilities toward men. Let not this Christmas pass without sharing love. 1 John 3:11, 1 John 4:7-21.
- It is not how long you spent in Christianity that counts for God, it is HOW MUCH LOVE YOU SHOW to men on earth that counts for him. Life is short and the day of Christ is at the door, what have you done concerning the love of Christ in you? Shine forth the love of Christ for men to see. 1 John 3:7-8.
If you are celebrating Christmas without Christ, change today! Make sure your name is written in the book of life because nothing is as valuable as that for you. Luke 10:18-20; Rev 20:11-15.