The Reason for Christmas is Christ (Part 1)
TEXT: Luke 2:1-20
Memory Verse: "Luke 2:11 For unto you is born this day into the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord."
Christmas is a controversial issue among many believers. Many people say Christ was not born on 25th December why should Christians celebrate Christmas on that day; others say it was a day set out for pagan worship. Whatsoever is the case, Christ was born into the world but not on 25th December; but whether He was born on this date or not, the important thing is that he was born to redeem us from our sins and we need to celebrate him. Matt 1:23, Isaiah 9:6-7
WHAT DOES CHRISTMAS MEAN?
- Christ is the reason for Christmas, and if we have accepted this gift from God into our life, then we must celebrate Christmas. Christ is the reason for the season, the reason for celebration. We celebrate the king of the whole world. We celebrate the word turned flesh. We celebrate our new birth in Christ. 2 Cor. 5:17
- Christmas reminds us of our inability to redeem ourselves from sin, but Christ came into the world to change the verdict of condemnation of the devil into great joy. 2 Cor. 5:14-21
- Christmas is a time of sharing gifts because God loves the world and gave his only son, so we must show our love by sharing gifts with our friends, families and pastors. John 3:16
- Many have turned Christmas to a time of committing the great sin in the whole world, instead of sharing the good news of Christ; they go about stealing and killing people to make money. 1 John 3:1-10
HAVE YOU DECIDED TO OFFER SOMEONE A GIFT?
Christmas is a time to show true love to those that are suffering, the needy, widows, orphans, prisoners and those at the hospital. James 1:25-27 2. Have you already sent a gift to your servant of God or have you completely ignored them and their families? What would you say if someone asks you about your pastor during this Christmas? 1 Tim 5:17-18, 1 Cor. 9:7-14. 3. If you don't love the man you see every day, how can you love God you have not seen even for one day? Show your love to your fellow men; that is the love of God. 1 John 4:16-21
HAVE YOU DISCOVERED JESUS THE KING OF THE WORLD?
- Many people celebrate Christmas without knowing its true meaning, they still live in sin, yet they claim to be Christians. Col 3:1-5
- If you don't have Christ in your life, you don't have eternal life and neither do you know God at all! Discover the true meaning of Christmas today; accept Christ’s love and give your life to him. 1 John 5:12
- The pagan practice attached to the celebration of Christmas has nothing to do with Christ. How you celebrate and who you celebrate determines what happens to you. Christ is the saviour of the world and we must celebrate his birth whether we know the date or not. Matt 1:18-20
- Decide to change from now and celebrate Christmas of this year with the true understanding and knowledge of who Christ is by admitting Him into your life as your Lord and Savior. John 1:1-14
This Gospel of peace is one reason there is such a universal acceptance of the Christmas season, even among those who are not born again. Christmas is all about God’s love and mercy, not His damnation. It spotlights God’s unconditional love for us. It focuses on the good news of God’s love and not the bad news of our woes and failures. That’s the Gospel of peace that the angels were singing about, and that should be our message too. Matt 28:18-20, Mark 16:15-20