Understanding and Living by the Word of God - Part 5
Text: Colossians 3:1-17
Memory Verse: "Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord".
Nothing on earth is comparable to the word of God. When one lives in darkness and has not yet known the truth, he think he is enjoying, without knowing he is heading to destruction. But when such is enlightened in the word of God, the difference becomes so clear. Psalms 119:105, 130. The only thing that will make meaning to a man who is in darkness is to embrace the word of God and such will see the glorious light of the coming Kingdom. John 1:1-14. John 3:16. Remember that living in the word include sponsoring our project for the year 2017 and also preparing for "Missions For Africa 2017-2020". Luke 8:1-3.
THE BEAUTY OF CHRIST AND THE SWEETNESS OF KNOWLEDGE?
- It is disastrous to live on earth without Christ. Our bishop always give the testimony of how he was converted to Christ at the age of 23 after being a bad boy smoking both cigarettes, Indian hemp and drinking alcohol. Moving from one night club to the other plus other sins. Read Gal.5:19-20. Rom 6:1-23. His conversion has led many to Christ. Immediately he was born again, he went to a bible college for training because the evidence of Who Christ is and what He does was manifested in him. 1 Tim 4:11-16. Would you like to be used of God? There is no age limit for that, arise now and receive the knowledge of Christ for His usage. 2 Tim 3:14-17, Heb 5:12-14
- Many Christians ignore knowledge and they spend all their Christian life in ignorance. For example when we ask people to enter into our bible college to be trained, they think we want them to be pastors, because they see pastoral life as a place of suffering. Some times christians and workers are called for seminars and other training forum yet they refuse to be there. Service without true knowledge of what you are doing is equal to unproductivity and nonsense. Hosea 4:6, Eccl.10:7, Prov 4:1-13.
THE DANGER OF LIVING IN IGNORANCE
- The journey of success in life begins with discovery of purpose through knowledge. Purpose takes you into planning, because where there is no planning, purposes are defeated. The planning takes one to programming. Finally programming helps you into pursuit, from pursuit to evaluation to check whether you have achieved your goal. 1 Cor 9:24-26. All these are all in knowledge. Prov 24:3-7, Rom 10:1-17, Rom 12:1-8.
- A lot of Christians have missed the right way of life, which is God's word. They pursue money and material blessings with all their mind, soul and strength, yet they ignore God's word. They have no time for fellowship, Bible studies and spiritual training, they forget that one day we will leave everything on earth and still give account to God for what we did with His word on earth. Rom 14:12, Prov 23:22-26.
- Your life does not belong to you. God can take it at anytime. What you do with your life determines your glory whether here on earth or in the world to come. You have only one life to live on earth, it has no duplicate. Your life is nothing but ordinary vapour, it appears and disappears in a twinkling of an eye. The only opportunity you have on earth is now. James 4:13-17, Prov 27:1, Prov 29:1
HOW COULD ISAAC BE SO GREAT BESIDE HIS FATHER'S GREATNESS?
- Never see acquiring knowledge as a waste of time, Isaac never see it that way. He followed all the instructions of God and that of his father and he had great success in his life. Ask yourself this question, this direction I am going, where will it lead me to and what will I get from there? Prov 14:12. Abraham went to Egypt and it was not a sweet experience. He almost lost his wife, and that is where he got Hagar that gave birth to Ishamael that represent Islam. Gen. 12:10-20, Gen. 13:1-4. God said to Isaac do not go down to Egypt, dwell in this land and I will bless you, he obeyed and was blessed. Gen 26:1-6,12-24.
- Isaac obeyed the father in marriage and he enjoyed his home. You have no destiny until you marry, and who you marry determines your future. Obeying the word of God in every area of life determines your present and future success. Gen 24:1-67
- We may change our ways and strategies because of ADVERSITY but we don't need to change our God. We need to hold onto God so strong until we get what we want in life. Like many people today, they are looking for cheap but non productive prophecy, when they are faced with little challenges of life but stumble with fatal spiritual accident and miss their destiny. They easily change their God, others will leave the church, some others even go to witch doctors for solution. The ANSWER is WAIT on God, listen to his word and you will never fail. 1 Peter 5:6-10. If you have ENOUGH of God's word, the HEAT of the challenges will soon go and victory will be yours. Prov 24:10, 2 Cor 4:14-18, Phil 4:6-8. Psa 27:11-14.
- Do you have title and position in the church and celebrate it without desiring God's word, then what is your DIVINE ASSIGNMENT in the church which is RESPONSIBILITY. It is your work that will make your name greater than your title or position. God made the name of Abraham great because he wholly followed His word and instructions. Gen 12:1-3. The children also became great because they obeyed their father's instructions which is the word of God. When you hear Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, in the bible you know those people it refers to. These are not titles but names attached to obedience to God. Eccles 9:10; Prov 22:22
What really are you known for in the church, if there is nothing, then meet the pastor and tell him I need more work than this title or position. 2 Sam 23:8-23.